REGISTRATION IS LIVE!
The Big Kahuna!
This event is around 16-18 miles, and has a 8,600' - 9,500' elevation gain. There are two courses depending on course conditions. Runners will start in 4 waves of 5 minute offsets, with 4 aid stations, each with cutoff times.
Due to the nature of alpine terrain, and the highly variable conditions that may be present during the day of the race, we have included a potentially required gear list that will be decided upon the morning of the race, as well as an A and B course for the SkiMo race. Come prepared with the entire gear list.
This is a technical ski mountaineering race and is designed to test multiple skill sets:
- Mountaineering skills:
- 4 alpine climbs with exposure over cliffs and/or above 1,200 ft avalanche paths with falls resulting in serious injury and/or death
- knife edge climbing
- 50+ degree boot packs
- Ski ability: 4 Alpine ski descents:
- 4 alpine ski descents
- Be prepared to ski 45+ degree terrain with ski/fall potential of up to 1,200 ft. Falls in these areas, depending on conditions could result in serious injury and/or death.
- This race course takes place between 7,200 ft (2,194m) and 11,166 ft.
- You will gain and lose 8,600' to 9,500' over 16 to 18 miles.
Required gear list:
- Skis: Minimum length women-150cm; men-160cm
- Bindings: Toe and heel pieces must be same brand
- Skins: At least one pair
- 3 upper body layers: 1 layer must be a wind proof layer
- 1 lower body layer
- Beacon: Conforms to standard EN 300718 457kHz frequency
- Shovel: No snow claws. Minimum length 50cm
- Probe: No probe poles. Minimum 240cm
- Helmet: Must meet UIAA 106 or CE EN 12492 standards
- Eye Protection
- Ice Ax/Whippet: REQUIRED
- Crampons: REQUIRED; must conform to UIAA standard 153 with at least 10 spikes.