REGISTRATION IS LIVE!
The Big Kahuna!
SHEDHORN - PRO/OPEN/ESPOIR/JR
This event is around 16-18 miles, and has a 8,600' - 9,500' elevation gain.
PRONGHORN - REC/SPORT/CADET
This event is around 7.5 miles, and has a 4,000' - 4,600' elevation gain.
Due to the nature of alpine terrain, and the highly variable conditions that may be present during the day of the race, we have included a potentially required gear list that will be decided upon the morning of the race, as well as an A and B course for the SkiMo race. Come prepared with the entire gear list.
This is a technical ski mountaineering race and is designed to test multiple skill sets:
• Mountaineering skills:
o 4 alpine climbs with exposure over cliffs and/or above 1,200 ft avalanche paths with falls resulting in serious injury and/or death
o knife edge climbing
o 50+ degree boot packs
• Ski ability: 4 Alpine ski descents:
o 4 alpine ski descents
o Be prepared to ski 45+ degree terrain with ski/fall potential of up to 1,200 ft. Falls in these areas, depending on conditions could result in serious injury and/or death.
o This race course reaches 11,166 ft.
Required gear list:
• Skis: Minimum length women-150cm; men-160cm
• Bindings: Toe and heel pieces must be same brand
• Skins: At least one pair
• 3 upper body layers: 1 layer must be a wind proof layer
• 1 lower body layer
• Beacon: Conforms to standard EN 300718 457kHz frequency
• Shovel: No snow claws. Minimum length 50cm
• Probe: No probe poles. Minimum 240cm
• Helmet: Must meet UIAA 106 or CE EN 12492 standards
• Eye Protection
• Ice Axe/Whippet: REQUIRED
• Crampons: REQUIRED ; must conform to UIAA standard 153 with at least 10 spikes.